Welcome to my site!
My name is Zutoia Ríos Mugarra. I was born in Biscay (Basque Country, Spain) in 1982. I live in Berlin (Germany) and I am a teacher of Spanish as a foreign language and academic stuff at Potsdam University.
I am a native speaker of Spanish and I also speak English, German, Italian and I have intermediate knowledge of Basque, the oldest living language in Europe.
CURRENT SPANISH COURSES:
– Spanisch B.2.2: Monday 18:00-19:30 (Berlin time; GMT+1). Online course (Zoom). The group has currently 4 international participants. That means you would be the 5th. Our course book is “Aula Internacional 5 Nueva Edición” (Difusion/Klett) and we are on Unit 2.
A free trial class is possible.
– Spanisch C.1: Wednesday 19:00-20:30 (Berlin time; GMT+1). Online course (Zoom). The group has currently 4 participants. That means you would be the 5th. Our course book is “Vitamina C1” (SGEL) and we are currently on Unit 11.
A free trial class is possible.
– Master in Applied Linguistics of Spanish as a Foreign Language: in order to achieve my professional goal of working as a teacher and/or investigator of Spanish teaching as a foreign language, in 2015 I decided to leave behind my career in Marketing and I started new studies in Linguistics in Universidad Nebrija (Madrid, Spain). In April 2019 I have finished my studies with the presentation of my master thesis, which covers the copula choice between ser and estar.
– Degree (Licenciatura) in Business Administration: In 2005 I finished my degree (5 years Licenciatura) in Deusto University (Bilbao, Spain). The last year of my degree I studied in Rome (Italy), in the Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali LUISS Guido Carli, thanks to the Erasmus Programme.
MY PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Since September 2019 I am working at Potsdam University as a PhD student and lecturer.
From 2016 to the present I have worked freelance as a teacher of Spanish as a foreign language in Berlin. I have private students and also work at Volkshochschule Marzahn-Hellersdorf.
From 2005 to 2015 I worked in the marketing field in large multinational companies located in Madrid (Spain), such as Coca-Cola or Vodafone. After these 10 years in Madrid I took a career break and moved to Berlin in order to improve my German. Here I worked in several start ups while I studied a Master in Applied Linguistics.
Would you like to learn Spanish? Are you interested in impoving your command of Spanish? Are you looking for a Spanish teacher for your company? Do you want to learn Spanish online? You can contact me if you:
– are interested in joining one of the groups learning Spanish language with me, already described on section “Current Spanish courses” (please see above).
– want to learn Spanish and you start from scratch.
– want to refresh some Spanish you learnt in the past.
– want to improve your command of Spanish.
– want to refine your writing skills in Spanish.
– want to refine your listening skills in Spanish.
– want to improve your conversation and speaking skills in Spanish.
– want to learn Spanish with the purpose of travelling through Spain or Latin America.
– want to learn about Ibero-American pragmatics and culture.
– want to hire a Spanish teacher to offer Spanish lessons in your company.
– want to organize an intensive Spanish course to be offered to your employees either in Germany or anywhere in the World.
– want to attend Business Spanish classes.
– want to learn Spanish to start a life as an expat in Spain or Latin America.
– want to prepare an official or unofficial Spanish exam or test (level A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 o C2) that it is important for your professional or academic career.
– want to learn Spanish face-to-face or online (Skype needed).
Methodology and learning materials
The methodology that I employ in my classes is inspired by Communicative language teaching (CLT) and Task-Based language teaching (TBLT). Grammar, pragmatics, vocabulary, culture, conversation, learning strategies and the different varieties and accents of Spanish language are considered and adapted according to the goals and objectives of the student.
Learning materials are selected depending on the particular goals and interests of the student(s).
- When learning Spanish from scratch, book Aula Internacional nueva edición 1 will be mostly recommended.
- When learning Spanish in one of the groups described on Section “Current Spanish courses” you should be using the mentioned book.
- For specific and particular goals, ad hoc materials will be created and shared with the student.
I also like providing digital tools for those students who feel comfortable and motivated when learning Spanish using technology.
- How to learn (urban) youth language in European Spanish
- Shanghai Summer School scholarship at SISU University 2019
- ‘al fin’ VS. ‘al final’
- ‘mientras’ VS. ‘mientras que’
- ‘desde’ VS. ‘desde hace’
- Where to learn Spanish on “holidays”
- Shanghai Summer School scholarship at SISU University 2018
- ‘Me alegra’ VS. ‘me alegro’
- Learn Spanish with songs
- Double consonants in Spanish